Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Looking for a doc section that presents the overload selection rules
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday, October 21, 2021, Bryn Llewellyn <bryn@yugabyte.com> wrote:

This causes the 42883 error, "function f(date) does not exist". I might've expected the system to have done an implicit conversion to "text" because this conversion is supported, thus:

Yes, implicit casting to text is bad.

For some reason, the implicit conversion from "date" to "timestamptz" _is_ considered to be preferable to the implicit conversion from "date" to plain "timestamp".

Where, in the PG doc, can I find a statement of the rules that allow me to predict the outcome of my tests?

I do not believe the relevant metadata is maintained in the documentation.  You would have to, at minimum, consult the system catalogs; as documented here:

Note that page does discuss the concept of “preference” that you’ve observed.

David J.

От: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum"
Сообщение: PGConf.NYC: Call for Volunteers
От: Rory Falloon
Сообщение: WAL streaming and dropping a large table