Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
Дата
Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew.dunstan@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:19 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

>We invented jsonb_set() (credit to Dmitry Dolgov). And we've had it
>since 9.5. That's five releases ago.  So it's a bit late to be coming to
>us telling us it's not safe (according to your preconceptions of what it
>should be doing).

There have been numerous complaints and questions about this behavior in those five years; and none of the responses to those defenses has actually made the current behavior sound beneficial but rather have simply said "this is how it works, deal with it".

>We could change it prospectively (i.e. from release 13 on) if we choose.
>But absent an actual bug (i.e. acting contrary to documented behaviour)
>we do not normally backpatch such changes, especially when there is a
>simple workaround for the perceived problem. And it's that policy that
>is in large measure responsible for Postgres' deserved reputation for
>stability.

Yeah.

Agreed, this is v13 material if enough people come on board to support making a change.

>And if we were to change it I'm not at all sure that we should do it the
>way that's suggested here, which strikes me as no more intuitive than
>the current behaviour. Rather I think we should possibly fill in a json
>null in the indicated place.

Not sure, but that seems rather confusing to me, because it's mixing SQL
NULL and JSON null, i.e. it's not clear to me why
[...]
But I admit it's quite subjective.

Providing SQL NULL to this function and asking it to do something with that is indeed subjective - with no obvious reasonable default, and I agree that "return a NULL" while possible consistent is probably the least useful behavior that could have been chosen.  We should never have allowed an SQL NULL to be an acceptable argument in the first place, and can reasonably safely and effectively prevent it going forward.  Then people will have to explicitly code what they want to do if their data and queries present this invalid unknown data to the function.

David J.

От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data
От: Andrew Dunstan
Сообщение: Re: jsonb_set() strictness considered harmful to data