Re: This is too implicit that recovery.signal will be removed

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: This is too implicit that recovery.signal will be removed
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 8:15 AM PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/16/runtime-config-wal.html

Hello.
On the page
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/runtime-config-wal.html
Actual:
>To start the server in targeted recovery mode, create a file called
recovery.signal in the data directory. If both standby.signal and
recovery.signal files are created, standby mode takes precedence. Targeted
recovery mode ends when the archived WAL is fully replayed, or when
recovery_target is reached. In this mode, the parameters from both this
section and Section 20.5.6 will be used.

Expected:
>To start the server in targeted recovery mode, create a file called
recovery.signal in the data directory. If both standby.signal and
recovery.signal files are created, standby mode takes precedence. Targeted
recovery mode ends and recovery.signal file is removed when the archived WAL
is fully replayed, or when recovery_target is reached. In this mode, the
parameters from both this section and Section 20.5.6 will be used. File
'recovery.signal' is not removed when `recovery_target_action` is
*shutdown*.

Except that doesn't seem to be true since "pause" is the default action.

We probably should add instead:

Targeted recovery mode ends when the archived WAL is fully replayed, or when recovery_target is reached.
The server is left in the state corresponding to the recovery_target_action setting.

David J.

От: PG Doc comments form
Сообщение: It is not clear from documentation when and how I should restore base backup
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Unclear guarantees about sort order on https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/queries-order.html