Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.

От David Rowley
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 29 Nov 2018 at 07:06, Peter Eisentraut

> That last sentence about the dropped columns is confusing to me:
>
> +    <para>
> +     Columns which have been dropped from the table also contribute to the
> +     maximum column limit, although the dropped column values for newly
> +     created tuples are internally marked as NULL in the tuple's null
> bitmap,
> +     which does occupy space.
> +    </para>
>
> So the dropped columns matter, but they are null, but the nulls matter
> too.  What are we really trying to say here?  Maybe this:
>
> Columns which have been dropped from the table also contribute to the
> maximum column limit.  Moreover, although the dropped column values for
> newly created tuples are internally marked as NULL in the tuple's null
> bitmap, the null bitmap also occupies space.

I'd say that's a small improvement that's worth making.  I've attached
a patch using your reformed version of that paragraph.

От: Sergei Agalakov
Сообщение: Re: [PROPOSAL] extend the object names to the qualified names inpg_stat_statements
От: David Rowley
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL Limits and lack of documentation about them.