Re: postgres with xcode

От Sumit Chaturvedi
Тема Re: postgres with xcode
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hello.

Thanks for those pointers. Will keep them in mind in the future. No, there is no problem outside Postgres.

Could it be that postmaster becomes multithreaded for some other reason??

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 9:57 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
On 07/28/2018 07:15 AM, Sumit Chaturvedi wrote:
Please reply to list also.
Ccing list.

Hello. Thanks a lot for your response. Yes that was also there.

Note: Bottom posting is the style on this list. Unfortunately the screenshot is not coming through on this reply. For those that see this the screenshot showed:

LC_ALL en_US.UTF8

Generally it is a better idea to cut and paste from command line output or a text file then show a screenshot. For the reason above and also because screenshots make it difficult for other users to cut and paste into their machines for testing/debugging purposes.

Back to the problem at hand. The error message only shows up in the section I quoted before with regards to locale handling on Macs.

Are you having any issues with starting Postgres outside of xcode?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 7:41 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com <mailto:adrian.klaver@aklaver.com>> wrote:

    On 07/28/2018 04:04 AM, Sumit Chaturvedi wrote:
     > Hello everyone. I'm a third year student from IIT Bombay, India.
    Since
     > I'm currently learning about databases, I wanted to debug postgresql
     > with xcode. However, I am having a lot of problems.
     > OS - 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
     > Xcode - 9.4.1
     >
     > To set up my system, I tried to replicate the instructions found at
     > https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse
     > <https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Working_with_Eclipse> for my case.
     >
     > Everything proceeded fine until a point where I had to change the
    run
     > configuration (scheme in xcode terms). I set the executable as
    postgre
     > from /src/backend and gave the appropriate arguments. Then, when I
     > pressed run, I got an error as shown in the attachment.

    I can tell you where the error comes from:

    postmaster.c

    /*
    * On macOS, libintl replaces setlocale() with a version that calls
    * CFLocaleCopyCurrent() when its second argument is "" and every
    relevant
    * environment variable is unset or empty.  CFLocaleCopyCurrent() makes
    * the process multithreaded.  The postmaster calls sigprocmask() and
    * calls fork() without an immediate exec(), both of which have undefined
    * behavior in a multithreaded program.  A multithreaded postmaster
    is the
    * normal case on Windows, which offers neither fork() nor sigprocmask().
    */
    if (pthread_is_threaded_np() != 0)
          ereport(FATAL,
                              (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
                              errmsg("postmaster became multithreaded
    during
    startup"),
                              errhint("Set the LC_ALL environment
    variable to
    a valid locale.")));

     > To solve it, I set up my environment variables in xcode
    appropriately to
     > make sure that locale information was reaching wherever it was
    needed.
     > But even now, when I press run I get the same error.

    I do not see that the LC_ALL environment variable is set, per the HINT
    to the FATAL message.