Re: pg_combinebackup --copy-file-range

От Jakub Wartak
Тема Re: pg_combinebackup --copy-file-range
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 9:46 PM Tomas Vondra
<tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been running some benchmarks and experimenting with various stuff,
> trying to improve the poor performance on ZFS, and the regression on XFS
> when using copy_file_range. And oh boy, did I find interesting stuff ...

[..]

Congratulations on great results!

> 4) after each pg_combinebackup run to pg_verifybackup, start the cluster
> to finish recovery, run pg_checksums --check (to check the patches don't
> produce something broken)

I've performed some follow-up small testing on all patches mentioned
here  (1..7), with the earlier developed nano-incremental-backup-tests
that helped detect some issues for Robert earlier during original
development. They all went fine in both cases:
- no special options when using pg_combinebackup
- using pg_combinebackup --copy-file-range --manifest-checksums=NONE

Those were:
test_across_wallevelminimal.sh
test_full_pri__incr_stby__restore_on_pri.sh
test_full_pri__incr_stby__restore_on_stby.sh
test_full_stby__incr_stby__restore_on_pri.sh
test_full_stby__incr_stby__restore_on_stby.sh
test_incr_after_timelineincrease.sh
test_incr_on_standby_after_promote.sh
test_many_incrementals_dbcreate_duplicateOID.sh
test_many_incrementals_dbcreate_filecopy_NOINCR.sh
test_many_incrementals_dbcreate_filecopy.sh
test_many_incrementals_dbcreate.sh
test_many_incrementals.sh
test_multixact.sh
test_pending_2pc.sh
test_reindex_and_vacuum_full.sh
test_repro_assert_RP.sh
test_repro_assert.sh
test_standby_incr_just_backup.sh
test_stuck_walsum.sh
test_truncaterollback.sh
test_unlogged_table.sh

> Now to the findings ....
>

> 1) block alignment

[..]

> And I think we probably want to do this now, because this affects all
> tools dealing with incremental backups - even if someone writes a custom
> version of pg_combinebackup, it will have to deal with misaligned data.
> Perhaps there might be something like pg_basebackup that "transforms"
> the data received from the server (and also the backup manifest), but
> that does not seem like a great direction.

If anything is on the table, then I think in the far future
pg_refresh_standby_using_incremental_backup_from_primary would be the
only other tool using the format ?

> 2) prefetch
> -----------
[..]
> I think this means we may need a "--prefetch" option, that'd force
> prefetching, probably both before pread and copy_file_range. Otherwise
> people on ZFS are doomed and will have poor performance.

Right, we could optionally cover in the docs later-on various options
to get the performance (on XFS use $this, but without $that and so
on). It's kind of madness dealing with all those performance
variations.

Another idea: remove that 128 posifx_fadvise() hardcode in 0002 and a
getopt variant like: --prefetch[=HOWMANY] with 128 being as default ?

-J.

От: Jelte Fennema-Nio
Сообщение: Re: psql not responding to SIGINT upon db reconnection
От: "David E. Wheeler"
Сообщение: Re: RFC: Additional Directory for Extensions