Re: Why is hot_standby_feedback off by default?

От sirisha chamarthi
Тема Re: Why is hot_standby_feedback off by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Andres,

On Sun, Oct 22, 2023 at 12:08 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
Hi,

On October 22, 2023 4:56:15 AM PDT, Vik Fearing <vik@postgresfriends.org> wrote:
>On 10/22/23 09:50, sirisha chamarthi wrote:
>> Is there any specific reason hot_standby_feedback default is set to off?
>

>Yes.  No one wants a rogue standby to ruin production.

Medium term, I think we need an approximate xid->"time of assignment" mapping that's continually maintained on the primary. One of the things that'd show us to do is introduce a GUC to control the maximum effect of hs_feedback  on the primary, in a useful unit. Numbers of xids are not a useful unit (100k xids is forever on some systems, a few minutes at best on others, the rate is not necessarily that steady when plpgsql exception handles are used, ...)

+1 on this idea. Please let me give this a try.

Thanks,
Sirisha

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Remove extraneous break condition in logical slot advance function
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: pgstatindex vs. !indisready