Re: CoC [Final]

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: CoC [Final]
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 12:39 PM, Geoff Winkless <pgsqladmin@geoff.dj> wrote:
On 21 January 2016 at 11:28, Chris Travers <chris.travers@gmail.com> wrote:
> Resisting the urge to talk about how justice was actually seen in the Dark
> Ages....

Pitchforks. Baying crowds dragging those they consider to be
wrongdoers from their beds and tying them to four horses and pulling
them apart in the town square, without worrying about proof or reason.
Trial by battle, where "the winner must have been in the right because
God would make sure that the right man won". Women being drowned
because it's better to kill an innocent girl (who will go straight to
Heaven anyway) rather than let an evil witch live amongst us. Stuff
like that.

Decent description of early 18th century Europe.  Not so great description of early 8th century Europe.

> But seriously, I think human judgment is better than a code which those who
> want to cause problems can and will use as a weapon against the rest.

Well, ish. The idea of having a strong published code which is
tempered by human reasonableness is fairly well established in most
legal systems.

I still side with the Scandinavian approach of passing general laws and trusting judges to apply them in line with moral rather than purely legal principles.

Geoff

--
Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

Efficito:  Hosted Accounting and ERP.  Robust and Flexible.  No vendor lock-in.

От: Geoff Winkless
Сообщение: Re: CoC [Final]
От: "(Daniel Stolf)"
Сообщение: Re: adding a bdr node using bcv backup