Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an

От vignesh C
Тема Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 at 16:16, Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> wrote:

> On Thu, 2024-01-18 at 15:54 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > On 27.11.23 03:30, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> > > True; I don't find it documented that all objects in pg_class share a
> > > namespace and that constraints are implemented by indexes of the same
> > > name.  But I think that the first part is a property of schemas and had
> > > better be documented there.
> >
> > It is documented prominently on the CREATE INDEX reference page.  We
> > could document it in more places, of course.  I find the specific change
> > proposal for ddl.sgml a bit weird, though, because this is a very
> > introductory section, and you are referring people to pg_class (what is
> > that?!?) for details.  If we want to put something there, it should
> > respect the order in which that chapter introduces concepts.
> >
> > The changes on create_table.sgml seem ok.  Although I had actually
> > expected that the system applies the find-a-unique-name routine rather
> > than taking the constraint name for the index name unaltered.
> >
> > Perhaps taking the create_table.sgml changes and combination with the
> > existing text on CREATE INDEX is sufficient.
>
> Ah, I didn't see the CREATE INDEX page.  (As an aside: too much
> conceptual stuff is documented in our reference pages, but that's a
> different issue.)
>
> For me, the intuitive place to look for information like that is the
> "Data Definition" chapter, so I think we should mention it there.
> I agree that "pg_class" is too advanced for that chapter, even though
> there is an earlier reference to it under "System Columns".
>
> In the attached patch, I have copied the enumeration of relations from
> the CREATE INDEX page.  I think this small redundance is alright, but I
> wouldn't mind if this gets removed from CREATE INDEX.
>
> The rest is unmodified.

CFBot shows that the patch does not apply anymore as in [1]:
=== Applying patches on top of PostgreSQL commit ID
d282e88e50521a457fa1b36e55f43bac02a3167f ===
=== applying patch ./v3-0001-Doc-All-relations-share-a-namespace.patch
patching file doc/src/sgml/ref/create_table.sgml
Hunk #1 FAILED at 1001.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1054.
doc/src/sgml/ref/create_table.sgml.rej

Please post an updated version for the same.

[1] - http://cfbot.cputube.org/patch_46_4747.log

Regards,
Vignesh

От: Laurenz Albe
Сообщение: Re: SQL command : ALTER DATABASE OWNER TO
От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: create table explicitly mention that unique|primary key constraint will create an