Re: 'Shutdown <= SmartShutdown' check while launching processes in postmaster.

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: 'Shutdown <= SmartShutdown' check while launching processes in postmaster.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Feb 21, 2024 at 3:38 PM shveta malik <shveta.malik@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Children that are stopped by the "if (pmState == PM_STOP_BACKENDS)"
> > stanza in PostmasterStateMachine should not be allowed to start
> > again later if we are trying to shut down.  (But "smart" shutdown
> > doesn't enforce that, since it's a very weak state that only
> > prohibits new client sessions.)  The processes that are allowed
> > to continue beyond that point are ones that are needed to perform
> > the shutdown checkpoint, or useful to make it finish faster.
>
> Thank you for providing the details. It clarifies the situation. Do
> you think it would be beneficial to include this as a code comment in
> postmaster.c to simplify understanding for future readers?

+1 for a note either before the StartChildProcess() or before the
PMState enum definition.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

От: Bertrand Drouvot
Сообщение: Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake
От: Bertrand Drouvot
Сообщение: Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation