Re: Connection pooling - Number of connections

От Guillaume Smet
Тема Re: Connection pooling - Number of connections
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 4:49 PM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Consider this train-of-thought:  no matter how large the pool size if you
> are constantly keeping, say, 90% of the connections actively working then
> having, on average, 10% of the connections sitting idle is probably not
> going to be noticeable on the server and the reduction in overhead of
> managing a pool is typically a net positive.  Now, I had no clue what
> percentage is actually true, or under what conditions and pool sizes it may
> vary, but that is a calculation that someone deciding on between managed and
> un-managed pools would need to make.

Sure.

The big question is if it is suited for general purpose or if having
100 connections open when 10 only are necessary at the time is causing
any unnecessary contention/spinlock issues/performance
overhead/whatever...

--
Guillaume

От: David Johnston
Сообщение: Re: Connection pooling - Number of connections
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Connection pooling - Number of connections