Re: Direct I/O

От Greg Stark
Тема Re: Direct I/O
Дата
Re: Direct I/O  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Re: Direct I/O  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 17 Apr 2023 at 17:45, Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com> wrote:

> Reasons: (1) There will always be a
> few file systems that refuse O_DIRECT (Linux tmpfs is one such, as we
> learned in this thread; if fails with EINVAL at open() time), and

So why wouldn't we just automatically turn it off (globally or for
that tablespace) and keep operating without it afterward?

> (2) without a page cache, you really need to size your shared_buffers
> adequately and we can't do that automatically.

Well.... I'm more optimistic... That may not always be impossible.
We've already added the ability to add more shared memory after
startup. We could implement the ability to add or remove shared buffer
segments after startup. And it wouldn't be crazy to imagine a kernel
interface that lets us judge whether the kernel memory pressure makes
it reasonable for us to take more shared buffers or makes it necessary
to release shared memory to the kernel. You could hack something
together using /proc/meminfo today but I imagine an interface intended
for this kind of thing would be better.

>  It's something you'd
> opt into for a dedicated database server along with other carefully
> considered settings.  It seems acceptable to me that if you set
> io_direct to a non-default setting on an unusual-for-a-database-server
> filesystem you might get errors screaming about inability to open
> files -- you'll just have to turn it back off again if it doesn't work
> for you.

If the only solution is to turn it off perhaps the server should just
turn it off? I guess the problem is that the shared_buffers might be
set assuming it would be on?

--
greg

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Fix typos and inconsistencies for v16
От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: pg_collation.collversion for C.UTF-8