Re: New blog - who dis?

От Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Тема Re: New blog - who dis?
Дата
Список pgsql-www

On Tue, Sep 5, 2023 at 2:16 PM Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 2:47 PM Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <ads@pgug.de> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 1:00 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 2023-Sep-04, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>>
>> > I plan to migrate my blog to a new software platform, which
>> > will also change the URLs which appear in the RSS feed. There
>> > is no convenient way to keep the old URLs in place.
>> >
>> > Most importantly, this will affect Planet PostgreSQL, which
>> > suddenly might see about 150 "new" blog postings.
>> >
>> > Is there a recommended way how to deal with such a move?
>>
>> Each post in the blog has a "guid" unique identifier, which is usually
>> the same as the URL, but some platforms let you set up something
>> different.  If you can "migrate" your posts to the new platform while
>> keeping the GUIDs, that would be best -- they would not be seen as new
>> posts.  The actual URLs don't actually matter.
>

> The guid in my case is the full URL of the posting, including the domain.
> I would need to break and fix quite a few things to port this guid over to
> the new system, and I can easily miss something before going live.

You wouldn't need to keep the URL for the new posts, only the GUIDs.
That is, new posts could have GUIDs in a new format, old posts could
just use the old URL in the GUID and the new URL in the, well, URL.

That's a theme change which I more or less permanently need to
maintain. I'd avoid that, if possible.

> I'd rather not go down this path.

Strictly speaking, per the RSS requirements, you have to.  Not donig
so will cause reposts for anybody *else* who is tracking your RSS feed
as well, not just Planet PostgreSQL.

Correct, but I'm mostly worried about spamming Planet.

* No posts older than 7 days will get posted to *twitter*. They only
go in the planet RSS feed(s).
* The planet RSS feeds contain 30 items. The homepage as well. At this
point you can see this goes back to Aug 24, so not very far. That
means that any entries older than that will be ingested into the
system, but they won't actually be shown to anybody.
* The feed passed through to www.postgresql.org further restricts this
to just the past 10

So this would indicate that if you have a period of say 2 weeks of no
postings, *planet* won't notice. Others might.

Basically not posting to Planet from this blog for 2-3 weeks, and maybe
giving someone a heads-up should do the job?

Regards,

--
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group