Re: Clarification regarding CREATE TABLE LIKE and FOREIGN KEYS

От David Virebayre
Тема Re: Clarification regarding CREATE TABLE LIKE and FOREIGN KEYS
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

Le mer. 29 nov. 2023 à 16:24, Euler Taveira <euler@eulerto.com> a écrit :
On Mon, Nov 27, 2023, at 12:05 PM, PG Doc comments form wrote:
It is not clear to me that foreign keys are copied or not when duplicating a
table using CREATE TABLE ... LIKE ... INCLUDING ALL. I had to actually test
to check what it does.

It is impractical to add what a feature *does not* provide in general. The
probability that that information will be obsolete (due to new features) is
high. If the information is missing that's because it is not supported. (Of
course, it can be an omission and, in this case, we need to fix it.)

"INCLUDING ALL" leads people to believe *everything* is copied.

The fact that it doesn't seem counter intuitive, at least to me.

Therefore, it doesn't seem absurd to me to warn people about what is not copied.

I wrote the original message hoping to help improve the documentation. I could write a draft if I'm allowed to.
I do believe that clarifying this point improves the documentation. If there's a consensus that it doesn't, my apologies for the annoyance.

Cheers.

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: INFORMATION_SCHEMA.routine_column_usage
От: Daniel Gustafsson
Сообщение: Re: Restore to a new database from a backup (.tar) generated from