Re: DROP OWNED BY fails to clean out pg_init_privs grants

От Hannu Krosing
Тема Re: DROP OWNED BY fails to clean out pg_init_privs grants
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 4:48 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Hannu Krosing <hannuk@google.com> writes:
> > Having an pg_init_privs entry referencing a non-existing user is
> > certainly of no practical use.
>
> Sure, that's not up for debate.  What I think we're discussing
> right now is
>
> 1. What other cases are badly handled by the pg_init_privs
> mechanisms.
>
> 2. How much of that is practical to fix in v17, seeing that
> it's all long-standing bugs and we're already past beta1.
>
> I kind of doubt that the answer to #2 is "all of it".
> But perhaps we can do better than "none of it".

Putting the fix either in pg_dump or making REVOKE tolerate
non-existing users  would definitely be most practical / useful fixes,
as these would actually allow pg_upgrade to v17 to work without
changing anything in older versions.

Currently one already can revoke a privilege that is not there in the
first place, with the end state being that the privilege (still) does
not exist.
This does not even generate a warning.

Extending this to revoking from users that do not exist does not seem
any different on conceptual level, though I understand that
implementation would be very different as it needs catching the user
lookup error from a very different part of the code.

That said, it would be better if we can have something that would be
easy to backport something that would make pg_upgrade work for all
supported versions.
Making REVOKE silently ignore revoking from non-existing users would
improve general robustness but could conceivably change behaviour if
somebody relies on it in their workflows.

Regards,
Hannu

От: Justin Pryzby
Сообщение: Re: Add SPLIT PARTITION/MERGE PARTITIONS commands
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Fix an incorrect assertion condition in mdwritev().