Feature Request - DDL deployment with logical replication

От Jeremy Finzel
Тема Feature Request - DDL deployment with logical replication
Дата
Re: Feature Request - DDL deployment with logical replication
Список pgsql-hackers
Hello!

I have not seen much discussion about what the plans are for being able to manage schema changes when using logical replication.  In our own infrastructure, mechanisms that have been provided to manage DDL statements at the same transactional point as they happen on the master have been immensely useful to us, such as replicate_ddl_command from pglogical.

Although we are thrilled with some of the features already in logical replication, this missing feature is the #1 reason that we don't plan to take a serious look at built-in logical replication even for pg11, because we have been able to use pglogical with our own extension pgl_ddl_deploy in order to broadly deploy logical replication without serious overhauls to our SDLC process, having schema changes managed well.  We really want a mechanism to put through DDL changes at the same transactional point on the subscribers as we do on the publishers, which also answers any complexities around deploying master-first or slave-first in some interesting cases.

Is there any particular vision for how the community might address this need in the future?

Thank you!
Jeremy

От: Tomas Vondra
Сообщение: Re: Changing WAL Header to reduce contention duringReserveXLogInsertLocation()
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: weekly progress reports (week 6)