Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: Postgres as In-Memory Database?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Edson,

On 2013/11/17 Edson Richter <edsonrichter@hotmail.com> you wrote:
> One question: would you please expand your answer and explain how would this adversely affect async replication?

Is this a question or a hint (or both) :-)? Of course almost all non-durable settings [1] will delay replication.

I think I have to add, that pure speed of a read-mostly database is the main scenario I have in mind.
Duration, High-availability and Scaling out are perhaps additional or separate scenarios.

I think the main bottleneck you will run into is the client-server architecture.  PostgreSQL does not have embedded mode, so every interaction has to bounce data back and forth between processes.

So, to come back to my question: I think that Postgres could be even faster by magnitudes, if the assumption of writing to slow secondary storage (like disks) is removed (or replaced).

I rather doubt that.  All the bottlenecks I know about for well cached read-only workloads are around locking for in-memory concurrency protection, and have little or nothing to do with secondary storage.

Cheers,

Jeff

От: "Janek Sendrowski"
Сообщение: Re: Regex files are missing
От: Elliot
Сообщение: Re: Help : Sum 2 tables based on key from other table