Re: RFC: Timing Events

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: RFC: Timing Events
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

>> You're being obtuse, Josh.  These parameters can be set the same way any
>> other parameters can, including ALTER ROLE SET or ALTER DATABASE SET.
>> The "superuser only" restriction is that only a superuser can execute
>> the ALTER, not that the target role has to be superuser.
>
> Oh?  Ok, that's helpful.
>
> It still eliminates the main potential use of auto-explain on production
> sites, though, which is to turn it on only for specific operations.

If you have sufficient control over the application to do that, why
can't you just explain those queries the old fashioned way?

> I've never been able to make use of auto-explain for any real diagnostic
> purpose on a production site, and I don't personally know anyone who has.

I have, although it is a rather low volume production site.

What prevents you from doing so?  The performance impact?  The volume
of logs generated?

Cheers,

Jeff

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: RFC: New log_destination 'fifo'
От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: RFC: New log_destination 'fifo'