Re: logical column ordering

От Jeff Janes
Тема Re: logical column ordering
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> However, there's a difference between making a query silently given
> different results, and breaking it completely forcing the user to
> re-study how to write it.  I think the latter is better.  In that light
> we should just drop attnum as a column name, and use something else:
> maybe (attidnum, attlognum, attphysnum).  So all queries in the wild
> would be forced to be updated, but we would not silently change
> semantics instead.

+1 for that approach.  Much better to break all of the third-party
code out there definitively than to bet on which attribute people are
going to want to use most commonly.

I'm a little confused as to the status of this patch.  It's marked as
Waiting on Author in the CommitFest application, and the last patch
version was posted in December.

There was a patch here, which in the commit fest is "hidden" behind other non-attachments in the same email:

Attachment (randomize.sql) at 2015-02-27 19:10:21 from Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra at 2ndquadrant.com>

But that patch failed the majority of "make check" checks in my hands.  So I also don't know what the status is.

Cheers,

Jeff

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: Re: logical column ordering
От: Вадим Горбачев
Сообщение: Fwd: proposal GSoC 2015 task: Allow access to the database via HTTP