Re: Should we remove -Wdeclaration-after-statement?

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: Should we remove -Wdeclaration-after-statement?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 29 Jan 2024 at 10:42, Mark Dilger <mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> I don't think anybody is proposing re-working the existing codebase. I understand this to be only about allowing new code to use the newer style. Personally, I like, as much as possible, to use initializations to const variables and avoid assignment operators, so I much prefer to declare at first (and usually only) assignment.

I was responding to Jelte's paragraph upthread:

> On Dec 27, 2023, at 9:59 AM, Jelte Fennema-Nio <postgres@jeltef.nl> wrote:
>
> But if the only reason not to remove the
> warning is that then there would be two styles of declaration in the
> codebase, then I'm happy to create another refactoring script that
> moves declarations down to their first usage. (Which could then be run
> on all backbranches to make sure there is no backpatching pain)

I find that kind of gratuitous code churn highly unpleasant.

I stand corrected, and agree completely. It’s hard to imagine a change of such a global nature that would be a big enough improvement that it would be a good idea to apply to existing code. Personally I’m fine with code of different vintages using different styles, as long as it’s understood why the difference exists — in this case because tons of code has already been written and isn’t going to be re-styled except possibly as part of other changes.

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: psql: add \create_function command
От: Alvaro Herrera
Сообщение: Re: Report planning memory in EXPLAIN ANALYZE