Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),

От Avinash Kumar
Тема Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 8:47 PM Alan Hodgson <ahodgson@lists.simkin.ca> wrote:
On Mon, 2019-10-21 at 20:40 +0530, Avinash Kumar wrote:
can't he destroy the offline backups and your database ?
This is not a right justification to encouraging Offline Backups over Online Backups.
If you are worried about storing your online backups through internet on cloud (i do not agree as you can still secure your data on cloud), store it in on a server in your Organizational network and do not push them through internet.
Taking Offline Backups is not the only right way to ensure Reliable Backups.
We are way ahead of the days where you need to face downtime to take backups.
Online Backups are reliable in PostgreSQL.

I apologize, I think we have a difference in terminology here. Obviously you don't need to take PostgreSQL out of service to take a backup. I don't know that you ever did; pg_dump even has always worked fine while the database is available.

When I say offline backup I mean a backup that is stored in a way that it cannot be accessed via the Internet.
Okay. This gives a clarity, thanks. Mix-up of offline and online in terms of backup and network.

От: Alan Hodgson
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),
От: Horacio Miranda
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Point in time Recovery (PITR),