Re: [ADMIN] Using Postgresql as application server

Yes, I know that I can not create a simple web application using only postgresql because we need a web server to server the html content. I not going to add web server functionalities to postgresql, but just want to use existing  features. I would like to generate content dynamically. I want minimum developers to be required, simple and powerful security and administration, and most importantly ability to respond to changes.
As sad@bestmx.ru replied above, I want to go through this way at least to test the application. What I am going to do is
use python for a simple test web server.
Use xml to define static content for each page.
Use posgtresql to generate dynamic content using stored procs.
static content of the page and dynamic content both will make final web page.
Use javascript for client UI.

For my application the most important part is generating dynamic content. Scaling, concurrency etc are not the issues at this time. We have to adopt govt. rules and change the business logic accordingly and it must be fast enough to save penalties.

Regards,

Chaitanya Kulkarni

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:54 PM, sad@bestmx.ru <sad@bestmx.ru> wrote:
c k wrote:

from last few months I am reading and searching for can postgresql
used as application server?
So i am thinking if I can use postgresql as web application server.

I request to users and developers give your suggestions and opinions.
Waiting for your replies.

Yes! Yes And Yes, my friend!
You should!

i am using postgresql exactly as application server.
(stored procedures in PLpgsql)
at http://platzcart.com i managed to minimize server side scripting:
Stored procedures run entire "business logic" + PHP envelop results into HTML code.

and in the next project (yet under construction)
i managed to ELIMINATE server side scripting at all
(except captcha server, which is standalone (written in perl))
PLpgsql "business logic" again + client side JS is building presentation.

most important point to support you is
*This is the originally intended usage of a DBMS*

All the troubles, all the NoSQL whining caused by unnecessary middleware.

P.S.
i have held a report to NLUUG Spring Conference 2011
about platzcart.com implementation
it is located at http://platzcart.com/lib/platzcart.pdf
it clearly describes advantages of using postgresql as an application server.
and i am sure it explains the good practice (maybe the best one)

P.P.S.
now i am using nginx_http_postgres_module

От: Rich Shepard
Сообщение: Deleting Multiple Rows Based on Multiple Columns
От: "sad@bestmx.ru"
Сообщение: Re: [ADMIN] Using Postgresql as application server