Re: which work memory parameter is used for what?

От Melvin Davidson
Тема Re: which work memory parameter is used for what?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Tue, Nov 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM, Hector Yuen <hector@infer.com> wrote:
Hello,

I am confused on which are the parameters for different queries. I am trying to run VACUUM on a big table, and it is easier for me to set the work memory for the specific session instead of tuning it in postgresql.conf.

I noticed that if I do:

set work_mem='1GB';

it doesn't help VACUUM, I have to do:

set maintenance_work_mem='1GB';

to accelerate the operation. I could notice that by running VACUUM VERBOSE and see that the table was scanned less times an the operation finished a lot faster.

My question is, for which operations does work_mem matter and for which ones does maintenance_work_mem do? I am specially interested in operations like ANALYZE and VACUUM, I believe ANALYZE depends on work_mem and VACUUM on maintenance_work_mem.

Can you confirm my understanding?

Thanks

--
-h

>I believe ANALYZE depends on work_mem and VACUUM on maintenance_work_mem.
No, ANALYZE is part of VACUUM. They both use maintenance_work_mem.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/static/runtime-config-resource.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-RESOURCE-MEMORY

--
Melvin Davidson

От: "Gadamsetty, Kiran"
Сообщение: Re: Linux equivalent library for "postgres.lib" from Windows
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Postgresql error (and service disruption) on Windows