Re: Keyboard shortcut challenges

От Akshay Joshi
Тема Re: Keyboard shortcut challenges
Дата
Список pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 11:45 AM Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Hackers,

I'm planning to change the keyboard shortcuts to allow the user to select "Cmd" instead of "Ctrl". As I mentioned above, only one of them could be selected to allow working on other OS's. On other OS like windows, "Ctrl" and "Cmd" will be treated the same, "Cmd" will be hidden and "Option" will change on "Alt".
I also made some UI improvements like moving shift, ctrl, alt keys before the key input and making it more compact.
Please let me know your thoughts.

New UI:

image.png

Old UI:
image.png

    Looks good to me.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 11:45 AM Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Yogesh,

The difference between other editors and pgAdmin is that pgAdmin can run on the web. Which means, a pgAdmin server hosted on linux can be opened on a Mac machine browser.

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 10:49 AM Yogesh Mahajan <yogesh.mahajan@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Aditya,

What is the behaviour of the other editors with respect to Meta Key? If they do not treat Meta key differently, then we shouldn't.

Thanks,
Yogesh Mahajan
EnterpriseDB

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 4:44 PM Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi,

Just came to my mind - We could add one more checkbox - "Is Meta?" for Ctrl. That way - users will have more control.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2024 at 4:26 PM Aditya Toshniwal <aditya.toshniwal@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
Hi Hackers,

I'm working on removing the usage of Access Keys(which varies based on OS and Browser combination) for keyboard shortcuts and instead use shortcuts similar to all other IDEs.
The challenge here is OS. MacOS has an extra key - Meta, which pgAdmin doesn't take as part of keyboard shortcut currently. In fact, Mac can take Ctrl separately.
pgAdmin can run as a web app so it's even more difficult. It is not possible to have multiple shortcuts based on the OS of the browser.
I suggest we consider Ctrl as Meta when running on a Mac.
Please let me know what you think.

image.png

--
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal

От: Aditya Toshniwal
Сообщение: Re: Keyboard shortcut challenges
От: Dave Page
Сообщение: Re: Regarding feature #6841