Re: Is it advisable to pg_upgrade directly from 9.0 to 9.3?

От Leonardo Carneiro
Тема Re: Is it advisable to pg_upgrade directly from 9.0 to 9.3?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Yeah, the things that matters are always on top of the changelog, so it's not much trouble to look after then.

On Thu, Nov 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@gmail.com> wrote:
On 11/07/2013 11:07 AM, Greg Burek wrote:
On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 4:36 AM, Leonardo Carneiro
<chesterman86@gmail.com <mailto:chesterman86@gmail.com>> wrote:

    I don't think that there will be too much trouble, as long as you
    follow every changelog tip (9.0->9.1, 9.1->9.2 and 9.2->9.3)

What if we don't follow the changelog tip? In this case, we have only
the 9.0 and 9.3 binaries installed and pg_upgrade directly to 9.3. Does
that cause fear?

Not so much fear as concern. One of my rules is that the good will take care of itself it is the bad you have to plan for. In this case it is not the nine changes that do not impact your code but the one that does. When going through the change logs the incompatibilities are listed at the top under the  Migration to Version 9.* header. It does not take to long to double check. If you want to save time just look at the major version changes, i.e 9.X versus 9.X.x as incompatibilities are allowed in major version changes. Not that they do not happen in minor releases, but that is generally done to fix a security/major bug and I do not recall any in the range you are looking at.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

От: "Tomas Vondra"
Сообщение: Re: Clang 3.3 Analyzer Results
От: Jeffrey Walton
Сообщение: Re: Clang 3.3 Analyzer Results