Re: Broken slack links

От Patrick O'Toole
Тема Re: Broken slack links
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Jeremy, Bobby, et al. —

I just ran into this myself, and although the Heroku Slack-invite link is not visible from the main communities section of postgresql.org (https://www.postgresql.org/community/) it's still visible when viewing mailing-list messages from the archives e.g. (https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/b3950236-359e-64de-1874-74f285f8a493@ardentperf.com — archive link from this thread). It's also still visible from the main mailing list page (https://www.postgresql.org/list/). In a way this is good because it led me to this message chain, but folks who are newer to the Postgres community might not go and hunt through the listserv archives.

While I'm at it, it might or might not make sense to set the IRC channel topic to indicate there's a Slack; looks like there's almost infinitely more activity in Slack these days.

- Patrick

On Fri, Jun 16, 2023 at 11:39 AM Jeremy Schneider <schneider@ardentperf.com> wrote:
On 6/6/23 9:41 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 6, 2023 at 5:31 PM Bobby R. Ward <bobbyrward@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> This was brought up previously in January but the invite links to slack are broken.
>> The links were previously replaced with links that require a pgtreats.info email to join.
>> Afaik there is no way currently to join that workspace.
>
> Yeah, that's pretty bad.
>
> I've temporarily pushed a change that comments out the links. Better
> no links than broken links. We'll get them back up as soon as the
> slack people can get that fixed, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to
> be a high priority for them.

Sorry. We've been working on this; it's not just that Heroku stopped
their free tier, but also that slack made changes to their api and to
how they manage invites.

From Robert around the end of last month (on slack):

=====
The heroku page had one of those auto-signup apps, but those no longer
work with free slacks due to api changes. What replaced it was an
evolving set of invite functionality, which has mostly become a direct
invite link... that said since we've been bitten by changes to the
invite system a few times now, we've tucked the slack link behind a more
stable url, specifically https://pgtreats.info/slack-invite, which we
can update to point to wherever it needs to go should the need change in
the future. I was talking with Denish about the status of the old heroku
account and it seems that it has been deleted (due to changes in how
heroku does account management now). I think we might actually be able
to revive it, though we would need to set up a paid heroku account to do
it, and I think the only purpose would be to put up a static page
telling people to update their links. Unfortunately we don't have a way
to measure the value of that.
=====

Long story short: unless we want to set up a redirect right on
postgresql.org and give slack admins direct access to keep it updated,
the best solution right now is to just update all links to Robert's
redirect which should be more stable (and usable) than long unreadable
slack invite links.

http://pgtreats.info/slack-invite

I once heard a report that slack was still giving a confusing message
claiming you needed a pgtreats.info email to join, which is not true.
But that may have been with one of the older invite links.

The link above has been around for at least a couple weeks now and
should work with any email. I think it's safe to update postgresql.org
links to point here.

If anyone is interesting in connecting on slack then please do continue
to report issues back to slack admins (and I'm happy to help pass info
along)... I like hanging out on slack but who knows if they might make
more breaking changes that catch us PG folks off guard...

-Jeremy

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider

--

photo
Patrick O'Toole

icon patrick.otoole@sturdy.ai

linkedin

App Banner Image

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: David Steele
Сообщение: Re: Planet PostgreSQL blog posted twice on postgresql.org
От: Magnus Hagander
Сообщение: Re: pgarchives: Bug report + Patches: loader can't handle message in multiple lists