Users, Roles and Connection Pooling

От Matt Andrews
Тема Users, Roles and Connection Pooling
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hey all,

Here’s a question I’ve been asking for a while and just can’t find an answer to, so I thought I’d ask it here. The answer could be subjective, but here goes...

When a web app connects to Postgres via a connection pooler, what is the best way to manage privileges for the connecting user? Especially when their is a complex hierarchy of privileges?

Should each signed up user have their own role which inherits from whichever roles they are members of? This means that the connection pool role should then be granted in every user?

Does creating a Postgres role for every app user scale? Roles can only have names, is an email address a good name for individual app users?

Are their any resources out there that anyone knows of that addresses these questions?

There’s plenty of stuff out there on roles and permissions, I’ve read a lot of it, but not much on dealing with individual app users through a connection pool.

I’m thinking that any queries should start with SET ROLE ‘username’ and end with RESET ROLE. Is this how it could work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Matt Andrews

0400 990 131

От: Joe Horsnell
Сообщение: Re: Behaviour adding a column with and without a default (prior toPG11)
От: Stephen Frost
Сообщение: Re: pg_receivexlog or archive_command