Re: About 0001:,Having overviewed it, I don't see any issues (but I'm the author), except grammatical ones - but I'm not a native to judge it.,Also, the sentence 'turning GROUP BY clauses into pathkeys' is unclear to me. It may be better to write something like: 'building pathkeys by the list of grouping clauses'.,,0002:,The part under USE_ASSERT_CHECKING looks good to me. But the code in group_keys_reorder_by_pathkeys looks suspicious: of course, we do some doubtful work without any possible way to reproduce, but if we envision some duplicated elements in the group_clauses, we should avoid usage of the list_concat_unique_ptr. What's more, why do you not exit from foreach_ptr immediately after SortGroupClause has been found? I think the new_group_clauses should be consistent with the new_group_pathkeys.,,0003:,Looks good,,0004:,I was also thinking about reintroducing the preprocess_groupclause because with the re-arrangement of GROUP-BY clauses according to incoming pathkeys, it d...

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: About 0001:,Having overviewed it, I don't see any issues (but I'm the author), except grammatical ones - but I'm not a native to judge it.,Also, the sentence 'turning GROUP BY clauses into pathkeys' is unclear to me. It may be better to write something like: 'building pathkeys by the list of grouping clauses'.,,0002:,The part under USE_ASSERT_CHECKING looks good to me. But the code in group_keys_reorder_by_pathkeys looks suspicious: of course, we do some doubtful work without any possible way to reproduce, but if we envision some duplicated elements in the group_clauses, we should avoid usage of the list_concat_unique_ptr. What's more, why do you not exit from foreach_ptr immediately after SortGroupClause has been found? I think the new_group_clauses should be consistent with the new_group_pathkeys.,,0003:,Looks good,,0004:,I was also thinking about reintroducing the preprocess_groupclause because with the re-arrangement of GROUP-BY clauses according to incoming pathkeys, it d...
Дата
Ответ на About 0001:,Having overviewed it, I don't see any issues (but I'm the author), except grammatical ones - but I'm not a native to judge it.,Also, the sentence 'turning GROUP BY clauses into pathkeys' is unclear to me. It may be better to write something like: 'building pathkeys by the list of grouping clauses'.,,0002:,The part under USE_ASSERT_CHECKING looks good to me. But the code in group_keys_reorder_by_pathkeys looks suspicious: of course, we do some doubtful work without any possible way to reproduce, but if we envision some duplicated elements in the group_clauses, we should avoid usage of the list_concat_unique_ptr. What's more, why do you not exit from foreach_ptr immediately after SortGroupClause has been found? I think the new_group_clauses should be consistent with the new_group_pathkeys.,,0003:,Looks good,,0004:,I was also thinking about reintroducing the preprocess_groupclause because with the re-arrangement of GROUP-BY clauses according to incoming pathkeys, it doesn't make sense to have a user-defined order—at least while cost_sort doesn't differ costs for alternative column orderings.,So, I'm okay with the code. But why don't you use the same approach with foreach_ptr as before?  (Andrei Lepikhov <a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi, Andrei!

Thank you for your feedback.

On Wed, May 29, 2024 at 11:08 AM Andrei Lepikhov
<a.lepikhov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On 5/27/24 19:41, Alexander Korotkov wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 1:19 AM Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> While there are some particular use-cases by Jian He, I hope that
> >> above could give some rationale.
> >
> > I've assembled patches in this thread into one patchset.
> > 0001 The patch fixing asymmetry in setting EquivalenceClass.ec_sortref
> > by Andrei [1].  I've revised comments and wrote the commit message.
> > 0002 The patch for handling duplicates of SortGroupClause.  I didn't
> > get the sense of Andrei implementation.  It seems to care about
> > duplicate pointers in group clauses list.  But the question is the
> > equal SortGroupClause's comprising different pointers.  I think we
> > should group duplicate SortGroupClause's together as
> > preprocess_groupclause() used to do.  Reimplemented patch to do so.
> > 0003 Rename PathKeyInfo to GroupByOrdering by Andres [3].  I only
> > revised comments and wrote the commit message.
> > 0004 Turn back preprocess_groupclause() for the reason I described upthread [4].
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> About 0001:
> Having overviewed it, I don't see any issues (but I'm the author),
> except grammatical ones - but I'm not a native to judge it.
> Also, the sentence 'turning GROUP BY clauses  into pathkeys' is unclear
> to me. It may be better to write something like:  'building pathkeys by
> the list of grouping clauses'.

OK, thank you.  I'll run once again for the grammar issues.

> 0002:
> The part under USE_ASSERT_CHECKING looks good to me. But the code in
> group_keys_reorder_by_pathkeys looks suspicious: of course, we do some
> doubtful work without any possible way to reproduce, but if we envision
> some duplicated elements in the group_clauses, we should avoid usage of
> the list_concat_unique_ptr.

As I understand Tom, there is a risk that clauses list may contain
multiple instances of equivalent SortGroupClause, not duplicate
pointers.

> What's more, why do you not exit from
> foreach_ptr immediately after SortGroupClause has been found? I think
> the new_group_clauses should be consistent with the new_group_pathkeys.

I wanted this to be consistent with preprocess_groupclause(), where
duplicate SortGroupClause'es are grouped together.  Otherwise, we
could just delete redundant SortGroupClause'es.

> 0003:
> Looks good
>
> 0004:
> I was also thinking about reintroducing the preprocess_groupclause
> because with the re-arrangement of GROUP-BY clauses according to
> incoming pathkeys, it doesn't make sense to have a user-defined order—at
> least while cost_sort doesn't differ costs for alternative column orderings.
> So, I'm okay with the code. But why don't you use the same approach with
> foreach_ptr as before?

I restored the function as it was before 0452b461bc with minimal edits
to support the incremental sort.  I think it would be more valuable to
keep the difference with pg16 code small rather than refactor to
simplify existing code.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov

От: Maiquel Grassi
Сообщение: RE: Psql meta-command conninfo+
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Volatile write caches on macOS and Windows, redux