Re: DDL support for logical replication

От Lev Kokotov
Тема Re: DDL support for logical replication
Дата
Re: DDL support for logical replication  (Jeremy Finzel <finzelj@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi Miles,

One issue is keeping the subscriber and the publisher schema identical. Running migrations on both the publisher and subscriber does not seem atomic to me, therefore I don't have a way to enforce consistency between the two. The use case is simple: schemas change all the time, and keeping two databases (or more!) in sync manually is tough.

Another issue is migrating large databases (in the terabytes) to a new version of Postgres with minimal downtime. Say it takes a week or two to sync up the subscriber with the publisher, we have to enforce a migration freeze for that duration. That's often inconvenient.

We often want to have a database with a subset of data of a particular table somewhere else, and logical replication is great, since it allows me to run write operations on the subscriber. Binary replication forces me to have two identical databases.

Best,
Lev

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 12:49 PM Miles Elam <miles.elam@productops.com> wrote:
Hi Lev,

While I don't have an answer to your roadmap question, you've raised a different question for me.

What are you expecting to get from logical replication of DDL commands that is not served by binary replication?  I ask because typically someone would want to use logical replication if they wanted triggers to fire on the subscriber, they only a subset of all tables replicated, etc.

Perhaps a better question would be "What problem are you trying to solve?" rather than focus on how you expected to solve that problem.

Cheers,

Miles Elam

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 11:08 AM Lev Kokotov <lev.kokotov@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Is DDL support on a roadmap for logical replication?

Thank you.
- Lev

От: Yessica Brinkmann
Сообщение: Re: The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Failed.
От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Segmentation fault with PG-12