Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)

От Daniel Begin
Тема Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Seems promising but could you provide me a reference to PostgreSQL
documentation regarding this "a%8=*" feature?
Best

Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Marc Mamin
Sent: December-12-14 06:41
To: Daniel Begin; 'Tom Lane'; 'Scott Marlowe'
Cc: 'Andy Colson'; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload
(rationale behind selecting a method)

>Thank Tom,
>I understand that the rationale behind choosing to create a new table
>from distinct records is that, since both approaches need full table
>scans, selecting distinct records is faster (and seems more straight
>forward) than finding/deleting duplicates;

Hi,
on a large table you may get it faster while using more than one thread.
e.g.:

select a,b,c into newtable from oldtable where a%8 =0 group by a,b,c; select
a,b,c into newtable from oldtable where a%8 =1 group by a,b,c; ...
select a,b,c into newtable from oldtable where a%8 =7 group by a,b,c;

This will/should use a shared full table scan on oldtable.

HTH

Marc Mamin

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: anyone using oid2name?
От: John McKown
Сообщение: Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)