Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)

От Daniel Begin
Тема Re: Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload (rationale behind selecting a method)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thank Tom,
I understand that the rationale behind choosing to create a new table from
distinct records is that, since both approaches need full table scans,
selecting distinct records is faster (and seems more straight forward) than
finding/deleting duplicates;

Best regards,
Daniel

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Tom Lane
Sent: December-08-14 21:52
To: Scott Marlowe
Cc: Andy Colson; Daniel Begin; pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Removing duplicate records from a bulk upload

Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> If you're de-duping a whole table, no need to create indexes, as it's
> gonna have to hit every row anyway. Fastest way I've found has been:

> select a,b,c into newtable from oldtable group by a,b,c;

> On pass, done.

> If you want to use less than the whole row, you can use select
> distinct on (col1, col2) * into newtable from oldtable;

Also, the DISTINCT ON method can be refined to control which of a set of
duplicate keys is retained, if you can identify additional columns that
constitute a preference order for retaining/discarding dupes.  See the
"latest weather reports" example in the SELECT reference page.

In any case, it's advisable to crank up work_mem while performing this
operation.

От: Albe Laurenz
Сообщение: Re: Use cases for lateral that do not involve a set returning function
От: lin
Сообщение: pg_restore -n sch1 : schema "sch1" does not exist