Re: BUG #14395: sslmode=prefer not checking for certificate and allows connection as SSL

От Chithambaram, Balaji (CONT)
Тема Re: BUG #14395: sslmode=prefer not checking for certificate and allows connection as SSL
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
We can enforce on our client setup sslmode=3Dverify-ca or verify-full. [ I =
was trying to make a statement that we can do this ].

Problem I see , sslmode=3Dprefer is not checking for certificate and if you=
 go the logs on server side or psql client prompt, it is saying established=
 SSL connection with protocols and so on . Documentation says sslmode=3Dpre=
fer is the default client setup and we are using 9.5 clients.  So if we mak=
e sslmode=3Dprefer to check for certificate or if we block ssl connection i=
tself while setting up sslmode=3Dprefer any one of those would help us and =
trying to see solution on that angle.

-----Original Message-----
From: Andres Freund [mailto:andres@anarazel.de] =

Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:45 AM
To: Chithambaram, Balaji (CONT) <Balaji.Chithambaram@capitalone.com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14395: sslmode=3Dprefer not checking for certifica=
te and allows connection as SSL

On 2016-10-25 14:41:34 +0000, Chithambaram, Balaji (CONT) wrote:
> We can enforce on our client setup sslmode=3Dverify-ca or verify-full.

I guess you meant "can't" not "can"?

> How can we make sure sslmode=3Dprefer either checks the certificate and =

> establish ssl connection or not to try setting up ssl connection.

That's a nonsensical configuration, you can't.

> Let me ask in another way, is it possible to block sslmode=3Dprefer from =

> any clients on the server configuration like postgresql.conf or =

> pg_hba.conf or in any other place.

No. Client configuration can't be enforced on the serverside. Random client=
 libraries can do whatever they want.

Andres

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and/or proprietary=
 to Capital One and/or its affiliates and may only be used solely in perfor=
mance of work or services for Capital One. The information transmitted here=
with is intended only for use by the individual or entity to which it is ad=
dressed. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you a=
re hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribu=
tion, copying or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon thi=
s information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communicati=
on in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from your co=
mputer.

От: "Chithambaram, Balaji (CONT)"
Сообщение: Re: BUG #14395: sslmode=prefer not checking for certificate and allows connection as SSL
От: Sandeep Thakkar
Сообщение: Compilation of timezone source with zic fails (on mountpoint)