Re: allow changing autovacuum_max_workers without restarting

От Imseih (AWS), Sami
Тема Re: allow changing autovacuum_max_workers without restarting
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
I spent sometime reviewing/testing the POC. It is relatively simple with a lot
of obvious value.

I tested with 16 tables that constantly reach the autovac threashold and the
patch did the right thing. I observed concurrent autovacuum workers matching
the setting as I was adjusting it dynamically.

As you mention above, If there are more autovacs in progress and a new lower setting
is applied, we should not take any special action on those autovacuums, and eventually
the max number of autovacuum workers will match the setting.

I also tested by allowing user connections to reach max_connections, and observed the
expected number of autovacuums spinning up and correctly adjusted.

Having autovacuum tests ( unless I missed something ) like the above is a good
general improvement, but it should not be tied to this.

A few comments on  the POC patch:

1/ We should emit a log when autovacuum_workers is set higher than the max.

2/ should the name of the restart limit be "reserved_autovacuum_workers"?

Regards,

Sami Imseih
AWS (Amazon Web Services)

От: Heikki Linnakangas
Сообщение: [MASSMAIL] PG_TEST_EXTRAs by theme rather than test name (Re: pgsql: Add tests for libpq gssencmode and sslmode options)
От: Corey Huinker
Сообщение: [MASSMAIL]Importing Extended Statistics