Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages

От Andy Astor
Тема Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
Дата
Список pgsql-www

I believe it is appropriate to allow some leeway to differentiate offerings on these pages, provided they are brief, fact-based, and understated. Such differentiations provide the community with useful information. If all the offerings are instead presented identically, then a new user would have to click-through to each company site to understand the differences, which carries at least two problems. First, it adds friction and inconvenience to the user experience. Second, there would be no balanced presentation of the options; only marketing. With a peer-reviewed patch system such as the one we have, we drive companies toward fact-based statements, which I think is very valuable to the community.

Andy

Andy Astor
OpenSCG / BigSQL
+1.415.213.2500

On Jul 14, 2016, at 8:48 AM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

On 07/14/2016 07:45 AM, Dave Page wrote:
On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
On 07/14/2016 07:11 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:

There is a pending patch that obsoletes the patches by the vendors. That
patch needs more comments (approval/rejection) before this is applied.

I pointed out that the current layout came about as a result of a lot
of experimentation etc. You have done nothing that I've seen to show

Which is why the changes I made are very conservative and in fact don't change the organization of the pages in any way. The only thing I did was now take into account that we (.Org) have more than one installer to promote.

that your alternative patch would not cause a regression in what that
work achieved, and thus I strongly object to such changes. Others I've
spoken irl had similar concerns.

Then let them speak here.

Dave, instead of just saying , "I strongly object" why not provide some specific and constructive feedback? That would allow us to build a patch that will satisfy the community and provide a compromise for our external vendors that is neutral and fair?

Sincerely,

JD

--
Command Prompt, Inc.                  http://the.postgres.company/
                       +1-503-667-4564

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Joshua D. Drake"
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages
От: Andy Astor
Сообщение: Re: Updates for PostgreSQL.org one-click installer download pages