pgsql: Limit the number of index clauses considered inchoose_bitmap_an

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Limit the number of index clauses considered inchoose_bitmap_an
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Limit the number of index clauses considered in choose_bitmap_and().

classify_index_clause_usage() is O(N^2) in the number of distinct index
qual clauses it considers, because of its use of a simple search list to
store them.  For nearly all queries, that's fine because only a few clauses
will be considered.  But Alexander Kuzmenkov reported a machine-generated
query with 80000 (!) index qual clauses, which caused this code to take
forever.  Somewhat remarkably, this is the only O(N^2) behavior we now
have for such a query, so let's fix it.

We can get rid of the O(N^2) runtime for cases like this without much
damage to the functionality of choose_bitmap_and() by separating out
paths with "too many" qual or pred clauses, and deeming them to always
be nonredundant with other paths.  Then their clauses needn't go into
the search list, so it doesn't get too long, but we don't lose the
ability to consider bitmap AND plans altogether.  I set the threshold
for "too many" to be 100 clauses per path, which should be plenty to
ensure no change in planning behavior for normal queries.

There are other things we could do to make this go faster, but it's not
clear that it's worth any additional effort.  80000 qual clauses require
a whole lot of work in many other places, too.

The code's been like this for a long time, so back-patch to all supported
branches.  The troublesome query only works back to 9.5 (in 9.4 it fails
with stack overflow in the parser); so I'm not sure that fixing this in
9.4 has any real-world benefit, but perhaps it does.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/90c5bdfa-d633-dabe-9889-3cf3e1acd443@postgrespro.ru

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e3f005d974ce32ca9f74328067efafcb1217c87f

Modified Files
src/backend/optimizer/path/indxpath.c | 32 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: pgsql: Fix incorrect author name in release notes
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: pgsql: Simplify null-element handling in extension_config_remove().