pgsql: Avoid spamming the client with multiple ParameterStatus messages

От Tom Lane
Тема pgsql: Avoid spamming the client with multiple ParameterStatus messages
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
Avoid spamming the client with multiple ParameterStatus messages.

Up to now, we sent a ParameterStatus message to the client immediately
upon any change in the active value of any GUC_REPORT variable.  This
was only barely okay when the feature was designed; now that we have
things like function SET clauses, there are very plausible use-cases
where a GUC_REPORT variable might change many times within a query
--- and even end up back at its original value, perhaps.  Fortunately
most of our GUC_REPORT variables are unlikely to be changed often;
but there are proposals in play to enlarge that set, or even make it
user-configurable.

Hence, let's fix things to not generate more than one ParameterStatus
message per variable per query, and to not send any message at all
unless the end-of-query value is different from what we last reported.

Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/5708.1601145259@sss.pgh.pa.us

Branch
------
master

Details
-------
https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2432b1a04087edc2fd9536c7c9aa4ca03fd1b363

Modified Files
src/backend/tcop/postgres.c    |  3 ++
src/include/utils/guc.h        |  1 +
src/include/utils/guc_tables.h |  5 ++-

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: pgsql: tablefunc: Reject negative number of tuples passed to normal_ran
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: pgsql: Doc: minor improvements for section 11.2 "Index Types".