Newbie table definition question

От Ken Tozier
Тема Newbie table definition question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm a C/Objective C programmer and am having a bit of difficulty
figuring out how to define SQL table approximations to things that are
very easy to do in C/Objective C

Basically what I'm confused about is how to simulate arrays of structs
in Postgres. For example, if I define a C struct like so

typedef struct Fruit
{
    char                name[32];
    float                price;
}Fruit;

typedef struct Veggies
{
    char                name[32];
    float                price;
} Veggies;

typedef struct GroceryBill
{
    unsigned long        date;
    long                veggieCount;
    Veggies            *veggies;
    long                fruitCount;
    Fruit                *fruits;
} GroceryBill;

The nice thing in C is that I can assign an arbitrary array of
identically structured "fruits" or "veggies" to a single field in a
parent data structure. Is this possible in SQL?

My best guess would be to do something like this:

CREATE TABLE veggies (
    name    varchar(32)    primary key,
    price        real
);

CREATE TABLE fruit (
    name    varchar(32)    primary key,
    price        real
);

CREATE TABLE groceries (
    date        date;
    veggies    varchar(32)    references veggies,
    fruit        varchar(32)    references fruit,
);

But it seems like the "veggies" and "fruit" fields within the
"groceries" table would only reference a single entry in the "fruits"
and "veggies" tables. Is there a way to have a field reference multiple
entries in the fruits or veggies tables? Is there a better way to
handle the whole problem?

Thanks for any help.

Ken

От: Joe Conway
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Networking feature for postgresql...
От: Lint Hasenpfeffer
Сообщение: Re: OS X Install