Re: alter table is taking a long time

От Michael Harris
Тема Re: alter table is taking a long time
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I recently had to do something similar: change one column from INT to BIGINT in a table which has inherited to a depth
of3 and where some of the child tables had millions of records.

All affected tables have to be rewritten for such a command. One consequence of this is that you (temporarily) need up
totwice the amount of disk space that the tables are currently occupying. Another is that it takes a long time - for me
Iran it overnight and it took at least 6 hours. Of course it depends on your hardware.

I could not find any way to check on the progress of this query .. maybe someone else can help with that.

I would not recommend restarting postgres. Can't you just cancel the query (control-C on psql if that is how you sent
thecommand) or failing that send the postgresql backend process a SIGINT (not the master backend of course, the
postgresbackend that is executing the ALTER command)? It should roll back to the state as before the command was
entered.

Regards // Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: stanciutheone@gmail.com [mailto:stanciutheone@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, 7 November 2009 4:55 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: alter table is taking a long time

There is no one that can tell me what i can do here, or they will do
here

I'm thinking to restart postgrsql but what will happen with my table
that i'm just altering just a filter

От: David Fetter
Сообщение: Re: How to import data from Oracle and SqlServer to a Postgres database?
От: Johan Nel
Сообщение: Re: alter table is taking a long time