RE: walsender performance regression due to logical decoding on standby changes

От Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)
Тема RE: walsender performance regression due to logical decoding on standby changes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Friday, May 12, 2023 7:58 PM Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:

> ConditionVariableBroadcast() would still cause the necessary wakeup.
> > >
> > > How about something like the attached? Recovery and subscription
> > > tests don't complain with the patch.
> >
> > I launched a full Cirrus CI test with it but it failed on one
> > environment (did not look in details, just sharing this here):
> > https://cirrus-ci.com/task/6570140767092736
>
> Yeah, v1 had ConditionVariableInit() such that the CV was getting initialized for
> every backend as opposed to just once after the WAL sender shmem was
> created.
>
> > Also I have a few comments:
>
> Indeed, v1 was a WIP patch. Please have a look at the attached v2 patch, which
> has comments and passing CI runs on all platforms -
> https://github.com/BRupireddy/postgres/tree/optimize_walsender_wakeup_
> logic_v2.
>
> On Wed, May 10, 2023 at 3:41 PM Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >         if (AllowCascadeReplication())
> > -               WalSndWakeup(switchedTLI, true);
> > +               ConditionVariableBroadcast(&WalSndCtl->cv);
> >
> > After the change, we wakeup physical walsender regardless of switchedTLI
> flag.
> > Is this intentional ? if so, I think It would be better to update the comments
> above this.
>
> That's not the case with the attached v2 patch. Please have a look.

Thanks for updating the patch. I did some simple primary->standby replication test for the
patch and can see the degradation doesn't happen in the replication after applying it[1].

One nitpick in the comment:

+     * walsenders. It makes WalSndWakeup() callers life easy.

callers life easy => callers' life easy.

[1]
max_wal_senders = 100
before regression(ms)                after regression(ms)    v2 patch(ms)
13394.4013                          14141.2615              13455.2543
Compared with before regression     5.58%                   0.45%

max_wal_senders = 200
before regression(ms)                after regression(ms)     v2 patch(ms)
13280.8507                          14597.1173              13632.0606
Compared with before regression     9.91%                   1.64%

max_wal_senders = 300
before regression(ms)                after regression(ms)     v2 patch(ms)
13535.0232                          16735.7379              13705.7135
Compared with before regression     23.65%                  1.26%

Best Regards,
Hou zj

От: Thomas Munro
Сообщение: Re: Bump MIN_WINNT to 0x0600 (Vista) as minimal runtime in 16~
От: Steve Chavez
Сообщение: Re: 'converts internal representation to "..."' comment is confusing