Does the work made by vaccum in the current pass is lost when interrupted?

От Jean-Marc Lessard
Тема Does the work made by vaccum in the current pass is lost when interrupted?
Дата
Re: Does the work made by vaccum in the current pass is lost when interrupted?  (Michael Lewis <mlewis@entrata.com>)
Список pgsql-general

I have a large table (billions of records) which has not been vacuum and bloated.

Vacuum scale factor was left at the default.

I ran a vacuum on a DEV system and it makes several passes (scanning heap/vacuuming indexes/vacumming heap) which take more than an hour each.

On a PROD system, I may have to kill the job midway.

Should I reduce the autovacuum_work_mem of my session? Currently 1GB

Does the work made in the current pass is lost when interrupted?

Correct me if I am not right, but vacuumed indexes and heap made by the current pass will go to disk, but the heap should be rescan on the next vacuum.

I guess that the visibility map is updated only at the end of each pass.

My best regards

Thank you

Jean-Marc Lessard
Administrateur de base de données / Database Administrator

Ultra Electronics Forensic Technology Inc.
T +1 514 489 4247 x4164
www.ultra-forensictechnology.com

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Both type of replications from a single server?
От: Francisco Olarte
Сообщение: Re: How to migrate column type from uuid to serial