RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS

От tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Тема RE: Parallel Inserts in CREATE TABLE AS
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
From: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com>
> I think some other cause of contention on relation extension locks are
> 1. CTAS is using a buffer strategy and due to that, it might need to
> evict out the buffer frequently for getting the new block in.  Maybe
> we can identify by turning off the buffer strategy for CTAS and
> increasing the shared buffer so that data fits in memory.

Yes, both Bhrath-san (on a rich-man's machine) and I (on a poor-man's VM) saw that it's effective.  I think we should
removethis shackle from CTAS.

The question is why CTAS chose to use BULKWRITE strategy in the past.  We need to know that to make a better decision.
Ican understand why VACUUM uses a ring buffer, because it should want to act humbly as a background maintenance task to
notcause trouble to frontend tasks.  But why does CTAS have to be humble?  If CTAS needs to be modest, why doesn't it
usethe BULKREAD strategy for its SELECT?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Incorrect GUC descriptions in docs and postgresql.conf.sample
От: Dilip Kumar
Сообщение: Re: Race condition in recovery?