Re: Moving a large DB (> 500GB) to another DB with different locale

От Andreas Joseph Krogh
Тема Re: Moving a large DB (> 500GB) to another DB with different locale
Дата
Список pgsql-general
På tirsdag 12. januar 2016 kl. 23:28:55, skrev Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas@visena.com> writes:
> P�� tirsdag 12. januar 2016 kl. 22:56:56, skrev John R Pierce <
> pierce@hogranch.com <mailto:pierce@hogranch.com>>:
>> On 1/12/2016 1:20 PM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>>> I'm moving a > 500GB DB to another server which is initdb'ed with a
>>> different locale (nb_NO.UTF-8 to get correct collation when ORDER BY).
>>> Is there another option than pg_dump/restore for doing this?

>>  nope, because the text data has to be converted to the new encoding,
>>  indexes rebuilt since the collation order is different, etc.

> I was pretty sure there wasn't, but had to ask before imposing downtime on our
> customers.

If you're only changing collation and not encoding, then in principle you
could move the tables over and then reindex each collation-sensitive
index.  pg_upgrade has no ability to do that for you though, which would
make it an error-prone manual process.  Also, it'd be far from
zero-downtime since you still gotta rebuild a lot of indexes.

regards, tom lane

This is interessting.
I'm only changin collation, the encoding (UTF-8) is the same. I'm replacing the packaged PG's version of initdb (resulting in en_US.UTF-8) with:
/usr/lib/postgresql/9.5/bin/initdb --locale=nb_NO.UTF-8 -D /var/lib/postgresql/9.5/main

Are you saying that I don't have to re-initdb and can just change collation somehow? If so, how?

pg_upgrade + re-indexing is much preferred instead of the 10+ hours the pg_dump/restore would take (SSD-disks).

Thanks.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

От: Cory Tucker
Сообщение: Re: Blocked updates and background writer performance
От: Kevin Grittner
Сообщение: Re: WIP: CoC V5