Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 25, 2023 at 09:20:11PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:

> > I have completed the first draft of the PG 16 release notes.  You can
> > see the output here:
> >
> >     https://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-16.html
> >
> > I will adjust it to the feedback I receive;  that URL will quickly show
> > all updates.
>
> The bit about auto_explain and query parameters says:
>
> > Allow auto_explain to log query parameters used in executing prepared
> > statements (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)
> >
> > This is controlled by auto_explain.log_parameter_max_length, and by
> > default query parameters will be logged with no length
> > restriction. SHOULD THIS BE MORE CLEARLY IDENTIFIED AS CONTROLLING THE
> > EXECUTION OF PREPARED STATEMENTS?
>
> This is wrong, the logging applies to all query parameters, not just for
> prepared statements (and has nothing to do with controlling the
> execution thereof).  That was just the only way to test it when it was
> written, because psql's \bind command exist yet then.

I see your point.  How is this?

    Allow auto_explain to log query parameters used by parameterized
    statements (Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker)

    This affects queries using server-side PRAPARE/EXECUTE
    and client-side parse/bind.  Logging is controlled by
    auto_explain.log_parameter_max_length;    by default query
    parameters will be logged with no length restriction.

> Should we perhaps add some tests for that, like the attached?

Sorry, I don't know the answer.

От: Peter Geoghegan
Сообщение: abi-compliance-checker
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: PG 16 draft release notes ready