Re: Add PostgreSQL Discord to website?

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Add PostgreSQL Discord to website?
Дата
Список pgsql-www
Greetings,

* Justin Clift (justin@postgresql.org) wrote:
> On 2023-08-19 23:01, Sehrope Sarkuni wrote:
> > If there are "official" channels (e.g. like the IRC ones) then sure.

Official should also include that the channel (or whatever ...) needs to
be managed, follow the PG CoC, and have moderators who are present and
who take action to ensure the CoC is followed.

> > Otherwise it should be noted as being unofficial community channels run
> > by
> > third parties. Maybe grouping all such things under one place with a
> > common, "Third party community sites..." heading.
>
> Sure.  Sounds like a good idea.  At some point we'll probably want to
> figure out a process for unofficial Community channel becoming "official"
> ones (if they care to). :)

No, we should push such communities to be official ones and part of that
is that they get listed.  We shouldn't put un-official sites on the .Org
page, imv.  In terms of the process around that, my recollection is that
for Slack -core talked to them about if they agreed to follow and
enforce the CoC (and possibly other policies that -core decides to put
out, I imagine) and given that it was trusted and known folks who were
running the slack and they agreed to that, it was listed (or maybe was
kept listed?  Not sure, it was a while back).

> > FYI, the Slack link on the mailing list site goes to
> > https://postgres-slack.herokuapp.com/ but it's a 404.
> >
> > It was probably running on the Heroku free tier and stopped when they
> > shut
> > down their free tier at the end of last year.
>
> Ahhh.  Old link then.  I checked my records, and old server address
> I used to use for it was:
>
>   https://postgresteam.slack.com
>
> Trying that now bounces me here though:
>
>   https://app.slack.com/client/T0FS7GCKS/C0FS3UTAP
>
> There still seem to be people actively using it.  Quite a lot of them
> actually, from scanning through their many channels there.  20k+ members
> for some of the channels.

I'm really confused why no one has put the relatively small bits of code
necessary into the main .Org site to allow this to just work..?  The
main thing, I think, is that the Slack admin would need to provide an
API code for this to be done, but I wouldn't have thought that'd be a
big deal..  Admittedly, it's been a bit since I looked into it and I
know there was some prior discussion on this list about it, so perhaps
there's some sensible reason... but it's unfortuante.

> > Adding Denish to this thread as the earliest mention I could find of
> > that
> > link in the mailing lists was from him.
>
> Good thinking.  Sounds like we'll need an updated Slack "invite" link or
> something at the very least.  And probably need to add it to the other
> template as well, so it shows up on the Community pages (etc). :)

Just an updated invite link has been shown to only last a limited time,
but Slack does provide an API which we could use from the main website
to send these invites, at least that's what it looked like last time I
looked into this.  That seems like the right way to go for this..

Thanks,

Stephen

Вложения

В списке pgsql-www по дате отправления:

От: "Jonathan S. Katz"
Сообщение: Re: Add PostgreSQL Discord to website?
От: Justin Clift
Сообщение: Re: Add PostgreSQL Discord to website?