Re: Add new option 'all' to pg_stat_reset_shared()

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Add new option 'all' to pg_stat_reset_shared()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 08, 2023 at 10:08:42AM +0900, Kyotaro Horiguchi wrote:
> At Mon, 6 Nov 2023 14:00:13 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote in
> I must say, I have reservations about this approach. The main concern
> is the duplication of reset code, which has been efficiently
> encapsulated for individual targets, into this location. This practice
> degrades the maintainability and clarity of the code.

+{ oid => '8000',
This OID pick had me smile.

>> IMV, atomicity is not something that applies for the stats reset
>> operation because stats are approximate numbers by nature after all.
>> If the pg_stat_reset_shared() resets stats for only a bunch of stats
>> types and fails, it's the basic application programming style that
>> when a query fails it's the application that needs to have a retry
>> mechanism. FWIW, the atomicity doesn't apply today if someone wants to
>> reset stats in a loop for all stats types.
>
> The infrequent use of this feature, coupled with the fact that there
> is no inherent need for these counters to be reset simultaneoulsy,
> leads me to think that there is little point in centralizing the
> locks.

Each stat listed with fixed_amount has meaning taken in isolation, so
I don't see why this patch has to be that complicated.  I'd expect one
code path that just calls a series of pgstat_reset_of_kind().  There
could be an argument for a new routine in pgstat.c that loops over the
pgstat_kind_infos and triggers the callbacks where .fixed_amount is
set, but that's less transparent than the other approach.  The reset
time should be consistent across all the calls as we rely on
GetCurrentTimestamp().
--
Michael

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Show WAL write and fsync stats in pg_stat_io
От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Show WAL write and fsync stats in pg_stat_io