Re: [DOCS] Add example about date ISO format

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [DOCS] Add example about date ISO format
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Mon, Nov 27, 2023 at 04:52:20PM +0100, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> On 2023-11-27 15:22 +0100, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On 2023-Nov-27, Erik Wienhold wrote:
> >
> > > Two issues that I fixed in the attached patch:
> > >
> > > * it's called "extended format" not "T format" (the "T" is mandatory
> > >   anyway)
> >
> > +1
> >
> > > * the time zone was missing from the result output
> >
> > This is wrong.  Actually, there's no timezone in value, because the use
> > of the AT TIME ZONE operator makes the type be TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME
> > ZONE.  You would notice this if you were to change the incorrect literal
> > Z in your format string with "TZ" (which expands to empty), with "OF"
> > (which expands to "+00"), or with "TZH:TZM" (which expands to the full
> > timezone shift):
>
> Thanks for the explanation.  Bruce used literal Z in the format string.
> I just corrected the sample output to match the format.
>
> Or we just use current_timestamp along with pattern TZH:TZM which also
> adds less to the width of the displayed table in case Bruce is concerned
> about that ;)

Yes, there were a few problems with my initial patch.  First, I should
have used "Z" instead of a Z which could be interpreted as a format
specification;  I had already done that for "T" in the example.

Second, I was missing the trailing "Z" in the output --- not sure how
that happened.

Erik and Alvaro made a great point --- we are using a literal "Z" as the
time zone output specification, but as Alvaro pointed out, there is no
way to get the time zone _name_ or even the offset from the AT TIME ZONE
value, so we must just pass the literal "Z" from the input to the output.
This proves Alvaro's point on this issue:

    SELECT pg_typeof(current_timestamp AT TIME ZONE 'America/Santiago');
              pg_typeof
     timestamp without time zone

Updated patch attached.  Thank you for the feedback.

От: "David G. Johnston"
Сообщение: Re: Missing "CONSTRAINT" keyword in ADD CONSTRAINT form?
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: [DOCS] intagg.sgml: example wrongly named and does not compile