Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests

От Michael Paquier
Тема Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests
Дата
Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests  (Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 05, 2024 at 12:41:33PM +0530, Ashutosh Bapat wrote:
> Well, you have already showed that the SQL interface created for the
> test module is being used for testing a core feature. The tests for
> that should stay somewhere near the other tests for those features.
> Using an extension named "test_injection_point" and which resides in a
> test module for testing core features doesn't look great. Hence
> suggestion to move it to contrib.

I mean why?  We test a bunch of stuff in src/test/modules/, and this
is not intended to be released to the outside world.

Putting that in contrib/ has a lot of extra cost.  One is
documentation and more complexity regarding versioning when it comes
to upgrading it to a new version.  I don't think that it is a good
idea to deal with this extra load of work for something that I'd aim
to be used for having improved *test* coverage, and the build switch
should stay.  Saying that, I'd be OK with renaming the module to
injection_points, but I will fight hard about keeping that in
src/test/modules/.  That's less maintenance headache to think about
when having to deal with complex racy bugs.
--
Michael

От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: Adding facility for injection points (or probe points?) for more advanced tests
От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: [17] CREATE SUBSCRIPTION ... SERVER