Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, May 24, 2024 at 10:50:28AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2024-05-23 23:27:04 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > On Thu, May 23, 2024 at 11:11:10PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > I am not sure Bruce that you realize that your disregard for
> > > performance improvements is shared by nobody.  Arguably,
> > > performance is 90% of what we do these days, and it's also
> > > 90% of what users care about.
> >
> > Please stop saying I don't document performance.  I have already
> > explained enough which performance items I choose.  Please address my
> > criteria or suggest new criteria.
>
> Bruce, just about everyone seems to disagree with your current approach. And
> not just this year, this has been a discussion in most if not all release note
> threads of the last few years.
>
> People, including me, *have* addressed your criteria, but you just waved those
> concerns away. It's hard to continue discussing criteria when it doesn't at
> all feel like a conversation.
>
> In the end, these are patches to the source code, I don't think you can just
> wave away widespread disagreement with your changes. That's not how we do
> postgres development.

Well, let's start with a new section for PG 17 that lists these.  Is it
20 items, 50, or 150?  I have no idea, but without the user-visible
filter, I am unable to determine what not-included performance features
are worthy of the release notes.

Can someone do that?  There is no reason other committers can't change
the release notes.  Yes, I realize we are looking for a consistent
voice, but the new section can probably have its own style, and I can
make adjustments if desired.

Also, I think this has gone unaddressed so long because if we skip a
user-visible change, users complain, but I don't remember anyone
complaining about skipped performance changes.

От: Michael Paquier
Сообщение: Re: Fix an incorrect assertion condition in mdwritev().
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: First draft of PG 17 release notes