Re: DROP COLLATION vs pg_collation question

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: DROP COLLATION vs pg_collation question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Am Thu, Jun 13, 2024 at 09:49:46AM +0200 schrieb Laurenz Albe:

> > > Note that with DROP COLLATION you can only remove collations
> > > that belong to the encoding of your current database.
>
> src/backend/catalog/namespace.c:
>
>   /*
>    * get_collation_oid - find a collation by possibly qualified name
>    *
>    * Note that this will only find collations that work with the current
>    * database's encoding.
>    */
>   Oid
>   get_collation_oid(List *collname, bool missing_ok)

Thanks.

Are collations per-database or per-cluster objects ?

I am asking because I seem to not be enabled to

1) use a collation that's intended for an encoding different
   from the database encoding

    -> makes sense

2) remove a collation that's intended for an encoding
   different from the database encoding

    -> so far so good, ignore them, but

3) update collation version information in pg_collations for
   collations intended for an encoding different from the
   database encoding (ALTER COLLATION ... REFRESH VERSION fails)

which in effect would mean that -- upon change of collation
versions in the underlying operating system (ICU update, libc
update) -- one would have to live with outdated version
information in pg_collations short of dump/sed/restore or
some such ?

I'm pretty sure I am overlooking something.

Best,
Karsten
--
GPG  40BE 5B0E C98E 1713 AFA6  5BC0 3BEA AC80 7D4F C89B

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: Configure autovacuum
От: Dragam
Сообщение: pgstattuple - can it/does it provide stats by partition?