Re: walsender.c comment with no context is hard to understand

От Bertrand Drouvot
Тема Re: walsender.c comment with no context is hard to understand
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 03:15:22PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2024 at 12:55 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Shouldn't the check for flushptr (if (flushptr < targetPagePtr +
> > > reqLen)) be moved immediately after the call to WalSndWaitForWal().
> > > The comment seems to suggests the same: "Make sure we have enough WAL
> > > available before retrieving the current timeline. .."
> > >

> > Yes, as I wrote in the first post, those lines did once used to be
> > adjacent in logical_read_xlog_page.
> >
> > I also wondered if they still belonged together, but I opted for the
> > safest option of fixing only the comment instead of refactoring old
> > code when no problem had been reported.
> >
> > AFAICT these lines became separated due to a 2023 patch [1], and you
> > were one of the reviewers of that patch, so I assumed the code
> > separation was deemed OK at that time. Unless it was some mistake that
> > slipped past multiple reviewers?
> >

> I don't know whether your assumption is correct. AFAICS, those two
> lines should be together. Let us ee if Bertrand remembers anything?

IIRC the WalSndWaitForWal() call has been moved to ensure that we can determine
the timeline accurately. I agree with Amit that it would make more sense to
move the (flushptr < targetPagePtr + reqLen) check just after the flushptr
assignement. I don't recall that we discussed any reason of not doing so.

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

От: Tatsuo Ishii
Сообщение: Re: Converting README documentation to Markdown
От: Ashutosh Bapat
Сообщение: Re: cfbot update: Using GitHub for patch review